[AfriNIC-rpd] Policy Proposal: End user classification for Universities

James Blessing jblessing at llnw.com
Thu Jun 28 16:00:57 UTC 2012

On 28 June 2012 16:50, Andrew Alston <alston.networks at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This seems to imply that Universities would be automatically classed
>> as end users and expect to prove they are LIRs with extra
>> documentation, or I am I misreading it?
>>
> You would assume so, but apparently that is not the case.  I am not sure I
> totally understand it either.  There seems to be a lot of confusion around
> this issue, and that was another reason for writing the policy, it clarifies
> it and makes sure that in future the policy is clear, precise and there can
> be no misunderstandings

So what is needed is an explanation from Afrinic staff as to why they
appear to not be following policy in this case. It appears to me that
the existing policy seems clear enough in its assumption that
Universities (and other academic organizations) are End User and not
LIRs and if anything the burden of proof for becomming a LIR is on the
University (I assume to help prevent revenue loss from Academic
institution becoming LIRs at discount rates and providing services to
unconnected 3rd parties)

James Blessing
+44 7989 039 476
Strategic Relations Manager, EMEA