Discarding Dead Global Policies [Was Re: [AfriNIC-rpd] Discarding dead policies]

Douglas Onyango ondouglas at gmail.com
Tue May 22 11:17:18 UTC 2012

Hi,
On 22 May 2012 11:51, Adiel Akplogan <adiel at afrinic.net> wrote:
> 1. Actively contact the author(s) to check what is their intention and seek
>    their feeling about the survival of the policy in it current form (the form
>    approved by AFRINIC).

It is implied in our current PDP that interventions like withdrawals
can only be done when policies are in draft (#5). So unless we change
this it would look abit in contravention of the current PDP.

> 2. Check with other regions the status of the GP within their PDP

Yes, we could do this; or we could monitor activity at the ASO/NRO
instead -- The ASO is tasked to pass information into the RIR system
about the status of Global policies...

I prefer the later for the reason that if one of the RIRs were to have
a PDP that allowed for policies to be recalled after gaining consensus
and possibly returned on fast track, then we risk being in a situation
where we "discard/abandon" a policy only to learn that another region
brought it back with probably minor changes that the ASO "accepts" and
then we have to re-run our policy through the PDP which in my
experience, could be even another year of waiting.

> 3. Present the fact to the community get consensus to declare the policy dead (or not)

Yes

> 4. Inform the staff (Policy Liaison Manager) to change status of policy to "Abandon" if
>    needed.

Yes
> Will that make sense?

Yes, That would make sense.
And it would also seem to me that if we invoked #7
http://www.afrinic.net/index.php/en/library/policy-documents/current-policies/251-policy-development-process-in-the-afrinic-service-region-afpub-2010-gen-005#7
we might not require to make any policy revisions -- but maybe only a
change in status name that we can add here
http://www.afrinic.net/index.php/en/library/policy-documents/policy-dev-guide
-- Did someone say "Abandoned"  :-)

PS: The URLs for the policies on the new website are far too long. see
below the names of the same policy; first the old naming (1) and new
naming (2)

1. http://www2.afrinic.net/docs/policies/AFPUB-2010-GEN-005.htm
2. http://www.afrinic.net/index.php/en/library/policy-documents/current-policies/251-policy-development-process-in-the-afrinic-service-region-afpub-2010-gen-005

I know you might argue SEO or something else, but I think this is
going to make it extremely messy to reference in emails etc -- I would
like to see these changed back to the old format or something shorter

Douglas Onyango | +256(0712)981329 | Twitter: @ondouglas
Life is the educator's practical joke in which you spend the first
half learning, and the second half learning that everything you
learned in the first was a joke.