[AfriNIC-rpd] NomCom at AFRINIC-16

gift gift at itibots.com
Tue May 22 10:42:27 UTC 2012

On 22/05/2012 11:34 AM, Jackson Muthili wrote:
>> Because we are in Africa and in our region you can not guaranty at 100% that
>> people will have access to be able to vote online (there are multiple possible
>> reasons - not only limited to availability of Internet access). Further to that in a
>> vote like this one you want to give as much possible options to people to
>> express their choice. Limiting the means of vote can be seen restrictive.
> When list of candidates are ready by nomcom, e-vote can be open to
> stakeholders for period of at least 2 weeks and longer. I dont think
> an individual representing a functioning company is completely offline
> for 2 weeks and even when many companies have 2 and more contacts.
>
> It will not be possible in this day and age that a company of such
> calibre as afrinic member will not be able to make an electronic vote
> for whatever reason in a 2 weeks duration!
>
>> That being said if the majority want to get ride of Proxy, we will do. But I'm pretty
>> sure (from experience) that we will soon find ourselves here discussing the same
>> thing as soon someone will be unable to vote online because he was sick and
>> unable to access his mail during the period the online voting was opened :-).
> If we have an e-vote system, please completely get rid of the proxy.

No you cannot just get rid of proxies its a requirement of the Companies Act otherwise we are starting a legal minefield. Members have a right to appoint proxies if they so wish. It will be good if we can promote e-voting to the extent that proxies are eliminated or left to a minimum. The truth is love them or hate them proxies are an age old company tradition which continues even in the so called developed world despite advances in technology.

GS

Information Technology Integrators
www. itibots.com<http://itibots.com>

Office: +26739334779, Mobile: +26772115870
Fax: +2673170457