[AfriNIC-rpd] NomCom at AFRINIC-16

Adiel Akplogan adiel at afrinic.net
Tue May 22 09:00:31 UTC 2012

On 2012-05-22, at 12:16 PM, Jackson Muthili wrote:

>> I would like to point out that In the new bylaws proposal, we went a bit further to even limit the number of proxies that a member can carry to 5. All this has also to be read in the spirit of the use of an e-voting platform. I don't however think that we can completely get ride of Proxies.
>
> Yes we can.
>
> I see no base using proxy method (and therefore ballot paper) when an
> e-vote system is in place.
>
> Defeats the entire purpose of e-vote mechanism, no?
>
> Why do you envision need for proxy with e-vote online is in place?

Because we are in Africa and in our region you can not guaranty at 100% that
people will have access to be able to vote online (there are multiple possible
reasons - not only limited to availability of Internet access). Further to that in a
vote like this one you want to give as much possible options to people to
express their choice. Limiting the means of vote can be seen restrictive.

That being said if the majority want to get ride of Proxy, we will do. But I'm pretty
sure (from experience) that we will soon find ourselves here discussing the same
thing as soon someone will be unable to vote online because he was sick and
unable to access his mail during the period the online voting was opened :-).

- a.