[AfriNIC-rpd] NomCom at AFRINIC-16

gift gift at itibots.com
Tue May 22 06:27:31 UTC 2012

Indeed the elders can only play an advisory role, they are not above the
board. They can jointly or in part help in the identification of the the
non geographical/special interest board members. The practice is that a
board can have a selection committee from amongst itself. The board can
also make interim appointments in case of a casual vacancy in between
AGMs. It must be noted that in the ultimate directors are
appointed/elected by the shareholders/members. So in whatever
combination the board and the elders can only select and and recommend
to the members for election.

GS

On 21/05/2012 08:52 PM, Mark Elkins wrote:

> Was sort of hoping natural causes might reduce numbers. ie Wisdom to
> step down?
>
> The Council of Elders are advisers that the Board can request assistance
> from when needed. They should not become a Second Board.
>
>>> but make the selection of these people a bit more open
>>> (include the current board as part of the selection committee) and
>>> always have a choice of people (say three) so that the general
>>> membership can then vote their preference as part of the normal election
>>> process. I'd assume the two non-geographical directors would have
>>> staggered terms too.
> How about: The community propose/many avenues the potential non
>> geographic directors to the elders separately is better.
> I don't understand what you are saying.
>
>> Elders select in support of the geographic elected board. One would
>> keep the board out of it as not good select themselves.
> In most companies, the NomCom is often made up entirely of Board Members
> - ie they select themselves. I believe that co-operation between the
> Board and Elders to find suitable candidates for the two
> non-geographical directors every three years would work.
>
>> Advise and select the non geographic directors is ok
>>> --
>>>   .  .     ___. .__      Posix Systems - (South) Africa
>>> /| /|       / /__       mje at posix.co.za  -  Mark J Elkins, Cisco CCIE
>>> / |/ |ARK \_/ /__ LKINS  Tel: +27 12 807 0590  Cell: +27 82 601 0496

Gift Shava
Financial Controller

Information Technology Integrators
www. itibots.com<http://itibots.com>

Office: +26739334779, Mobile: +26772115870
Fax: +2673170457