[AfriNIC-rpd] NomCom at AFRINIC-16

Adiel Akplogan adiel at afrinic.net
Mon May 21 20:40:00 UTC 2012

On 2012-05-18, at 16:56 PM, Andrew Alston wrote:

>> Nacer Adamou Saidou asked the following questions about the election process:
>>
>> - e-vote is only for members in good standing, but paper vote is
>>  opened to all voter categories.

NO, the same rule applies to both means of vote. You can not get a paper ballot if you are not in good standing either.

>> What happen if someone vote twice
>>  (one during e-vote and once more during the face-to-face meeting)?
>>  Is there measures that make such cases impossible?

Yes MyAfriNIC is checked (hence the e-voting status of members and their financial status are checked) before handing out paper ballot. That will prevent double voting.

>> - What happen if for any reason the result of the e-vote is known to
>>  a non authorized person? I suggest that in such case, that e-vote
>>  is cancelled and re-run later.

This is something to take care of in the election process while integrating e-voting aspect.
Now there will be a need in such case to provide irrevocable evidence  of the fact that the result has been known in advance by someone.

That being said, the way the system is currently developed, only the Election Trustees (People entrusted to oversee the e-voting) using their respective private key TOGETHER can know the result in advance. But of course this is computing and we should not totally dismissed improbable eventualities.

- a.