[AfriNIC-rpd] NomCom at AFRINIC-16

Simon M. Balthazar sbalthazar at tznic.or.tz
Mon May 21 11:36:50 UTC 2012

On 21/05/2012 12:03, Andrew Alston wrote:

> Firstly, I believe we should change the bylaws to specifically outlaw the holding of more than 5 proxies by any individual (potentially less once e-voting is actually functional)
> Secondly, there is another loophole where a candidate can be "appointed" as a contact for an organization on a temp. basis in order to allow them to directly cast that organizations vote without the use of a proxy, this was clearly obviously when one candidate produced no less than *7* votes, this has to be fixed.  No candidate should be allowed to cast more than 2 or 3 votes (number up to the community), else this will be the next source of abuse of the voting system.
> Thirdly, I believe there should be an outright ban in either the election process or the bylaws banning the use of role accounts for electioneering and vote harvesting.  Feel free to send to individuals who you know, but not to role accounts, thats called spam.
> Forth, I believe that we should potentially have an advocacy email list where candidates can talk about themselves and request votes, members who wish to see what candidates stand for, are free to subscribe and see it all.  These lists could also be used to take public questions posted to the candidates.

I don't believe limiting number of proxies  per  individual will change
anything. I'm of the opinion we limit voting per zones i.e. If we are
electing board members from North, then we let Afrinic members from
North select who they want to represent them. Lets eliminate such
situations where West Africans are represented by a member whose
majority of his/her votes comes from South.

Simon.