[AfriNIC-rpd] NomCom at AFRINIC-16

SM sm at resistor.net
Mon May 21 10:43:14 UTC 2012

At 07:18 20-05-2012, gift wrote:
>candidate to emerge most all the time. It seems to me that the
>candidate comment board and period is not taken seriously by most in
>the community with the actual vote and candidate presentations
>taking more prominence.

Yes.

>3. It would seem to me that the community loves the mailing list and
>finds it more user friendly to communicate, share and drive any
>change process. Most likely because it is

It's probably because the usual participants are subscribed to this
mailing list.

My guess is that the candidate for the seat of PDWG Chair was not
subscribed to this mailing list when NomCom published the slate.  It
may be apparent if you compare the mailing list archive with a
message which Seun Ojedeji may have received on 5 May.

>  user friendly and interactive. May be at each election we should
> have an election mailing list (not to abuse rpd mailing list) where
> candidates can post their manifestos, can be asked questions and
> members can debate. They can even do audio and video recordings and
> provide links for those who want to access them since technology
> allows us this pleasure.

I am not sure whether the candidates would want to answer the questions.

>5. One option is to have postal votes in place of voting by proxy
>where paper ballots are completed and transmitted electronically by
>any member who wants to exercise their vote but can not attend
>election meeting. This will require adequate controls attached to the

Is there already an option for postal votes?

At 02:03 21-05-2012, Andrew Alston wrote:
>  AfriNIC is a community driven organization.  The community was
> electing its board, the

AfriNIC members were electing the board.  The community is not
involved in board elections.

>Secondly, for the NomCom to do this after they themselves had
>already failed this community in the PDP process by failing to push
>for and find adequate candidates for the PDP election, and wasting
>our time in that regard (yes, I view what happened in the PDP

NomCom followed the requirements for the slate of candidates.

>Now, enough with the ranting, how do we solve all of this, cause
>after all, thats what we

https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/electionprocess-comment/2012-May/000003.html

Regards,
-sm