[AfriNIC-rpd] Public Comments on the PDWG Co-Chair Candidate

Andrew Alston alston.networks at gmail.com
Thu May 17 14:18:43 UTC 2012

> In cases of conflict of interest, it is expected that Directors recuse
> themselves from certain decisions.
>
> This applies to all Boards of ALL orgs, not just ours.

100% agreed McTim, however, I do not believe it is wise to embrace conflict.  If you go into a position like this KNOWING that such a serious potential conflict exists, is it not wiser and more in the interests of the community to attempt to avoid the conflict entirely, rather than place yourself in a position where the conflict has to be dealt with each time.

Consider this as well:

The number of board members is set by the community, with representatives from the various regions etc.  By having a director that has to recuse himself from all policy discussion, you deprive the region he represents of one of their representatives during policy discussion at board level.  In effect, it makes the director unable to perform ALL of his duties that he was elected to perform (which include involvement in policy issues at board level).  That is not a simple conflict, it means the director cannot fulfill his complete mandate.

Andrew