[AfriNIC-rpd] Public Comments on the PDWG Co-Chair Candidate

Andrew Alston alston.networks at gmail.com
Thu May 17 13:57:52 UTC 2012

I actually have to agree with Mark.  The work of the PDP is validated by the board, and the board has to agree to implement the policies established under the PDP.  With a PDP Chair or Co-Chair also sitting on the board, there is a direct conflict of interest here, and while I understand that sometimes conflicts are unavoidable and can be dealt with simply by the member in conflict excusing themselves from all discussions around the issue, I do not believe it is in the best interests of the organization for an already obvious conflict of interest to be embraced rather than avoided.

It is my view that if you are chairing or co-chairing the PDP, you should be forced to resign the position the moment you choose to run for board.  You can't really have this both ways, I.E "If I win the board election, then I'll resign from the PDP", because that also creates problems.  It means that only after the board elections are complete can a decision be taken to potentially replace the now vacant PDP spot.  Considering that typically the elections are held on the last day of the meetings, this currently doesn't leave much time to deal with the issue and make a sensible appointment.

I will be proposing a specific bylaw amendment regarding holding dual positions like this though, through the comment submission system on the website as relating to the bylaw discussions.

Thanks

Andrew