[AfriNIC-rpd] AfriNIC Whois Database Changes - 4-byte ASN and DNSSEC support

Yogesh Chadee yogesh at afrinic.net
Fri May 11 11:34:36 UTC 2012

Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to announce that AfriNIC now supports exclusively
4-byte AS Numbers and shall not make any distinction between 2-byte
only AS Numbers (ASDOT) and 4-byte only AS Numbers (ASPLAIN). As from
now, AfriNIC will operate AS Number allocations from an
undifferentiated 4-byte AS Number allocation pool. This feature has
been implemented to be compliant with RFC5396 which deals with the
Textual Representation of Autonomous System (AS) Numbers.

More information can be obtained from:
http://www.afrinic.net/docs/policies/AFPUB-2005-ASN-001.htm
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5396

Moreover, AfriNIC will soon activate DNSSEC support on its DNS
infrastructure including the IANA delegated reverse zones we manage.
We have therefore implemented the "ds-rdata" attribute in the DOMAIN
object of the Whois database. This will allow members to publish
Delegation Signer (DS) records to build the chain of trust for their
RDNS zones.

More information can be obtained from:
http://www.afrinic.net/dnssec

Kind regards,