[AfriNIC-rpd] Draft Policy: Anycast Assignments in the AfriNIC region

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 23:50:37 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 5:11 AM, SM <sm at resistor.net> wrote:
> At 15:52 17-04-2012, McTim wrote:
>>
>> > 1.    Summary of the Problem Being Addressed by this Policy Proposal
>> >
>> > Unless one is in charge of "critical infrastructure" in the AfriNIC
>> > region, an organization cannot get an allocation or assignment
>> > purely for anycast or GPRS Roaming Exchange (GRX) usage. I
>> > understand there are organizations that would like to use
>> > anycast/GRX for non-critical infrastructure in the region, but
>> > cannot due to policy limitations.
>

> Which policy limitations does the above refer to?

You have to be "critical infrastructure" to get space according to:

http://www.afrinic.net/docs/policies/AFPUB-2006-GEN-001.htm#5

"End-User Assignment to critical Infrastructure:

AfriNIC will make End-User assignment to critical infrastructure
providers of the Internet such as public exchange points and core DNS
service providers. These allocations will be no longer than a /24
using IPv4. Multiple allocations may be granted in certain situations.
- Exchange point assignment MUST be assigned from specific blocks
reserved only for this purpose.

AfriNIC will make a list of these blocks publicly available. "

--
Cheers,

McTim