[AfriNIC-rpd] AFPUB-2006-GEN-001 and Anycast

Graham Beneke graham at apolix.co.za
Fri Apr 6 05:22:27 UTC 2012

On 05/04/2012 21:48, McTim wrote:
> If I understand correctly, they could have used one of their allocated
> /24s for this, no?

To number the infrastructure - yes perhaps. To achieve the required BGP
routing policy - no.

I don't know of any practical way to carve a single /24 out of a /18.
Then to announce that /24 to certain peers but not announce to others
and still ensure well aggregated announces of the /18.

If the member could receive one additional /24 then they could announce
the following:
  * /24 prefix
  * /18 prefix

The alternative is to announce:
  * /24 prefix
  * /19 prefix
  * /20 prefix
  * /21 prefix
  * /22 prefix
  * /23 prefix
  * /24 prefix

I know which I'd prefer to see in the global table ;)

--
Graham Beneke