[AfriNIC-rpd] AFPUB-2006-GEN-001 and Anycast

Mauritz Lewies mauritz at three6five.com
Mon Mar 26 19:56:58 UTC 2012

Hi

Anycast has been around for a number of years and a few attempts have been made to start a discussion around the definition of an assignment policy for Anycast models.
The last that I can see was in 2007, however no consensus was reached.

It seems the reason is that policy definition is driven by need and demand and there has not been enough need for a full policy due to the low number of Service providers needing Anycast.
Or the perceived low need there for due to fabricated information...

Technically though there are numerous occasions where Anycast is needed and in most cases this does not meet the minimum assignment criteria:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First End-user assignment criteria:

The requesting End users must:

a) Be an AfriNIC member in good standing

b) Show either an existing efficient utilization of at less /25 from their upstream provider.

c) Justify an immediate need of at less 50% of total requested size based on their Network Infrastructure.

Often Service providers (SaaS, NaaS) have needed IP space to deliver Anycast based services and due to the lack of a stipulation for Anycast have had to fabricate information to meet the criteria.

Thus I suggest that the policy be amended to include "d) Provide a technically sound Anycast design."

I don't think a full policy is needed, but the inclusion of an Anycast stipulation in AFPUB-2006-GEN-001 will allow for more complete indication of the use of the technology and will allow SaaS/NaaS providers the ability to grow services quicker and simpler.

Regards

Mauritz Lewies
email: mo at three6five.com
mobile: +27 83 647 4901