[AfriNIC-rpd] Call for Comments: Draft Minutes of Public Policy Meeting during AfriNIC-15 in Yaounde

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Thu Jan 12 13:45:30 UTC 2012

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012, Adiel Akplogan wrote:
> In substance what I said is that same comments before a face to
> face meeting where consensus is reached can't be of the same
> weight during the last call.  If consensus is declared after
> discussion at the face to face meeting, only NEW and major
> arguments/issues should stop a policy during the last call. The
> last call period should be as straight forward as possible, and
> not another round to re-discuss the whole policy with points
> already raised and discussed (or not) before the face to face
> meeting.
>
> Discussions and comments before + during face to face meeting
> should weight more than comments during lats call. Doing that we
> push people to raise their point before or during the face to
> face meeting where consensus will be sought.
>
> We should be clear about when to close the loop, and it is in my
> sense the responsibility of the PDWG co-chairs to ensure that.

Objections raised durting a last call might be new objections, or
they might be old objections that have already been considered and
rejected; they also might be major or minor.  In my opinion, the
PDWG co-chairs should be able to tell the difference, and they
should be able to declare consensus even if some trivial or old
objections are raised during the last call.

In other words, I agree with Adiel.

--apb (Alan Barrett)