[AfriNIC-rpd] IPv6 strategy

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Nov 30 19:47:59 UTC 2011

On Nov 30, 2011, at 8:31 AM, Ademola Osindero wrote:

> Why force people to use IPv6?

You can't actually force people to do anything using tools in the RIR toolbox and I really don't want
to see the RIRs start weaponizing.

> Should there be any difference in the way IPv4 is administered and how IPv6 should be administered?

Yes. IPv6 requires significantly different administration because address-conservation schemes necessary in IPv4 are damaging to IPv6 and will lead to poorly structured deployments. For an example of just how radically different it needs to be (IMHO), have a look at ARIN policy 2011-3 and/or APNIC proposal 98.

> Is there any substantial gain, advantage or merits in forcefully enforcing users to make use of IPv6 within 12 months?

There might be, but, it's beyond our ability to do so.

> What is the business justification for making people use IPv6 once they are allocated to them?

I'm not sure I understand the question in a meaningful way.