[AfriNIC-rpd] IPv6 strategy

Ernest - (AfriNIC) ernest at afrinic.net
Wed Nov 30 15:51:33 UTC 2011

SM wrote thus on 11/30/11 6:02 PM:

> At 02:45 26-11-2011, Adiel Akplogan wrote:
>> Currently AfriNIC hostmasters informally use every new IPv4 requests
>> to raise awareness on IPv6 by gently asking the requestor if they
>> would like at the same time to request IPv6? If they have a plan
>> they request it, if they don't yet have a plan of they generally
>> just
>> decline the offer and only get their IPv4 prefix. Some of them do
>> come
>> back few months letter with an IPv6 request.
> According to existing policies, if the allocated/assigned IPv6
> address space is not used within 12 months, it is reclaimed.  Are
> there any statistics about the allocations/assignments and
> reclamations,
We do not 'police' this policy requirement by the book, but do send
periodic reminders to members in breach of this clause, and advise
them towards getting IPv6 deployed, and if they do need training and
awareness on how to get this done, to come attend our free IPv6
workshops held around the continent roughly every month.

> and about the effectiveness of the fee policy for IPv6?
The fee (or lack thereof) for IPv6 is indeed a motivator, and has
effectively encouraged more institutions towards getting IPv6. When
we pitch IPv6 to current and prospective members, a common question
is "how much will this cost us". It always appears a relief to know
there wont be any attached costs.

regards
eb