[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: rpd Digest, Vol 60, Issue 5

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 16:51:55 UTC 2011

<pdwg co-chair hat off>

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 7:19 PM, rajabu kitindi <rkitindi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Dr Paulos
> To be more specific,
> I would like to modify section 3.6 by adding "A proof of IPv4 utilization
> from LIR or end used must be submitted along with request for additional
> IPv4"  as per my email below.

Is this not already covered by the IPv4 policy implemented on 17.05.2006?

> I would also like to add two new sections, which will address SLA issue, at
> this point SLA will be very critical as we LRI and end users will need to
> plan on utilization of IP addresses. I had such experience that responses to
> email took very long time also it too me long time get new blocks, so if I
> have only 10% of IP addresses remain, I don't know how long will this amount
> sustain my operations, if it takes very long to get new addresses, I might
> finish this 10% before I get new block. So I think Policy should address
> that, so summary new sections should look like
> Section 4: Should specify time period for LRI or End user to get response
> when they make first request to Afrinic
> Section 4.1: This should specify  how long will it take for LRIs and End
> user to get additional IPv4 from the day they submit all
> utilization evidences

I think these are procedural issues, not policy issues.  I don't think
it is possible or desirable for the Policy discussion Working Group to
mandate how AfriNIC spends money.  After all, not everyone on the pdwg
is a member of AfriNIC.  In other words, non-members should not
dictate how the members fees are spent.

> I would also like suggest we add a section which will promote deployment of
> IPv6 as per my email addresses, let say
> Section 5: Should for example mention shorter time period to get IPv6 as
> compared to IPv4,

see above, process/procedure not policy.

 if possible, free workshops which address IPv6 deployment
> and transition strategies etc anything we want to add that will justify
> promotion of IPv6 deployment across Africa.

This is already adequately done by AfriNIC I think.

--
Cheers,

McTim