[AfriNIC-rpd] Way forward on discussion re. Election Process and Bylaws

Adiel Akplogan adiel at afrinic.net
Tue Jun 28 08:25:22 UTC 2011

Dear colleagues,

After quietly following the recent discussions on the rpd list on the
election process that drift to our Bylaws, let me come in here with a
way forward on these and try to wrap up the discussion so to let the
work on the issues raised to start. I personally find the debate very
useful and positive as it shows the growing interest of our community
on AfriNIC's proceedings.

A. On the election process: I would like to remind all that the NomCom
   is appointed by the board and each NomCom has to submit to the Board,
   after each election, a report taking into consideration all their
   own observation and comments received all along the process.

   We have just completed this election and they are just about to submit
   their report and I'm sure they are going to include all the comments
   from this list. There has been a report from NomCom2010 that was
   forwarded to the NomCom2011. Not mentioning the report from our legal
   counsel few years ago on the issue of proxy that come up during the
   AfriNIC-8 meeting in Rabat. To be efficient in reviewing the process
   I will suggest the following steps:

   A.1 to let the NomCom2011 to complete its report and submit to the
       board.

   A.2 The Board, based on the report, setup an Election Process Review
       committee that will come up with a revision of the current
       process attached and available online at:
       http://www.afrinic.net/elections/process/ep_bod.htm

   A.3 The proposal of the Review Committee will be published for
       comments and presented at AfriNIC-15 meeting for further
       discussion.

   A.4 The Board should approve a new Election policy not later than
       15/01/2012 so it can be used as from the next 2012 elections.

B. On the AfriNIC Bylaws: Theres are already some ongoing discussion on
   reviewing the current bylaws to better frame the member-only/Institutional
   category. I will suggest that during this exercise all the other concerns
   be addressed. We will work with our legal counsel on that and present
   the outcome to the current members (full and associates), and make them
   available online for public comment as well. The first Draft will be
   presented at AfriNIC-15.

Kind Regards to you all!

Adiel A. Akplogan                         Tel. +230 403 51 00
Chief Executive Officer, AfriNIC          Fax: +230 466 67 58
adiel at afrinic.net - www.afrinic.net       sip: adiel at voip.afrinic.net