[AfriNIC-rpd] Alternative text for second paragraph of clause 3.8 in soft landing

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 07:14:15 UTC 2011

Hi, while i think this text is ok, how does it address your concerns about
an African company wanting to go global? Rgds, McTim

On Jun 9, 2011 9:44 AM, "Andrew Alston" <aa at tenet.ac.za> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Yesterday there was another alternative proposed for the text in clause
3.8 in the soft landing that I believe may get easier consensus.

> Very basically if we rely on the text in the proposal that states that ip
address resources should be used only for the benefit of the African region
and to support connectivity back to the region we could remove any number
references. This will eliminate debate about what the number should be and
may be easier to gain consensus. It will also protect us from exploitation
by foreign entities as was I believe the spirit of this clause in the first
place.

> Therefore I propose we leave the first paragraph of clause 3.8 as it is
and modify the second paragraph as follows:

> AfriNIC resources are for AfriNIC geographic region and any use outside of
the region should be solely in support of connectivity back to AfriNIC
region.