[AfriNIC-rpd] AFPUB-2010-v4-005-draft-04 Softlanding Policy Proposal

Andrew Alston aa at tenet.ac.za
Mon May 30 12:09:02 UTC 2011

Hi McTim,

If need be I will dredge through the emails going back to January this year
and pull out a complete list of people who have had objections with the 10%
clause.

I have no disagreement that the resources are meant for the use of African
companies, I have strong disagreement with limiting where such companies may
make use of those resources on a geographic basis.

As an African, should I choose to use space that is assigned by Afrinic to
myself on infrastructure I choose to deploy in London, Hong Kong or Timbuktu
when I cannot get resources from another RIR, I should be entitled to do so.

There have been NUMEROUS people who have echoed this sentiment on this list,
both for the reasons that it limits expansion of African companies and
because the clause is completely unenforceable.

Please let me know if you'd like my summary of responses to the list going
all the way back to when this discussion first really took off heavily on
the list (which I believe was during the same way as the APAN meeting in
Hong Kong, so I can isolate the start of the heavy discussion fairly easily)

Thanks

Andrew