[AfriNIC-rpd] Section 3.8 of AFPUB-2010-v4-005-draft-02 - IPv4 Soft Landing

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Mon May 23 14:01:17 UTC 2011

Healthy debate! - I'm glad.

On Mon, 2011-05-23 at 15:14 +0200, Dr Paulos Nyirenda wrote:
> On 23 May 2011 at 13:03, Mark Elkins wrote:
>
> > ...x ...
> >
> > I've no problem with this either - unless "participation" by people not
> > from the AfriNIC region allows "them" to harm "us". Maybe "they" should
> > not always be invited to "show consensus" (vote)???  Ponder this a
> > while.
>
> If you want this then the AfriNIC PDP in AFPUB-2010-GEN-005 needs to be revised because
> you really cannot do this right now and the policy says that you should not do this.

> > Whilst I was at ARIN a few weeks ago - participating in their Policy
> > discussions - I didn't always put up my hand to "show consensus" - I
> > didn't always feel it appropriate. (Might be wrong - but there was no
> > voting at ARIN - just a demonstration of "consensus" as a guide to the
> > AC (Advisory Council))
>
> If you check the you will see that the word "vote" does not appear in the AfriNIC PDP.
> The  AfriNIC PDP is based on consensus and not voting. The current counting of who
> supports and who opposes is painting the wrong picture on how to implement the AfriNIC
> PDP.

Yes - many (I include myself) may have a mind set of treating the "Hands
up" as a vote rather than as "a Show of Consensus".

> > So my remark still stands. I would still be sceptical about the motives
> > of any non-African based entity that supported the dilution of AfriNIC
> > resources (IPv4 address space in this case) out of the AfriNIC area.
>
> There is need to synthesize the many diverse views, including yours, into the policy,
> what ever that will be. We will most likely get it wrong if we rush with only one or a
> few such views.

:-)

If we get a few - I'll be overjoyed.

> > I'm not saying they can't participate. Maybe AfriNIC Members need to
> > participate more though - as in stand up and be counted.
> > Its our region - we have to operate in the region. There are other
> > regions with both the same, similar and with quite different rules and
> > procedures.
> >
> > My motive is to protect AfriNIC and its resources for use by Africans.

> Interoperability?
You've lost me - what do you mean?

> If you really want to push this line of thought then you need to revise the current
> AfriNIC PDP, as approved by the AfriNIC Board less than six months ago. As the PDP
> currently stands, your motives go against the principles of this AfriNIC policy.

Looking again at
http://www.afrinic.net/docs/policies/AFPUB-2010-GEN-005.htm
What exactly does "participation" mean and how far does it extend. Are
these Rules or Guiding Principals? What discretionary powers do the
Working Group Chair(s) have?

My motivation remains "protecting AfriNIC"...