[AfriNIC-rpd] Last Call: IPv4 Soft Landing Policy - AFPUB-2010-v4-005-draft-03

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu May 19 05:09:12 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 11:38 PM,  <sm+afrinic at elandsys.com> wrote:
> Hi Mark,
> At 11:05 13-05-2011, Mark Elkins wrote:
>>
>> I really want to see this go through to Board Approval ASAP.
>
> The proposal still has to gain consensus.  The discussion seems to be about
> what is in the interest of the Africa versus what is in the interest of
> companies incorporated in the AfriNIC service region.

or what is in the interest of the development of the Internet in
Africa vs. what is in the interest of some hypothetical company that
may at some point in the future want to expand to another region.

 IPv4 allocation
> statistics show consumption per user as follows:
>
>           IPv4 address per user
>  U.S.A          4.90
>  Finland        1.81
>  U.K.           1.34
>  France         1.24
>  Germany        1.12
>  Mauritius      0.42
>  South Africa   0.40
>  Tunisia        0.26
>  China          0.25
>  Brazil         0.22
>  Egypt          0.08
>  Tanzania       0.006
>
> AfriNIC has roughly enough IPv4 addresses for Egypt to have one IPv4 address
> per person.  Over half of that IPv4 address pool would be needed if each
> person in Tanzania were to have one IPv4 address.  France currently has 80
> million IPv4 addresses allocated to it.  That's around four times the amount
> of IPv4 addresses allocated to South Africa.

I don't see how this is germaine to the conversation.

> According to unconfirmed reports, the trading price might be US$10 per IPv4
> address.  The LIR annual fee for a (IPv4) /8 in the ARIN region is
> US$18,000, US$40,000 in the LACNIC region and US$38,400 in the AfriNIC
> region.  For end-users, the annual fee is US$18,000 in the ARIN region,
> US$600 in the LACNIC region and US$200 in the AfriNIC region (/14 maximum
> assignment).

nor do these numbers apply to the contentious issue at hand.

--
Cheers,

McTim