[AfriNIC-rpd] RE:AFPUB-2011-v4-003-draft-02 - Limited Out of RegionAllocation of IPv4 Resources - of Legacy Space

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue May 10 01:00:56 UTC 2011

On May 9, 2011, at 5:02 AM, McTim wrote:

> On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 2:37 PM, Andrew Alston <aa at tenet.ac.za> wrote:
> I would be opposed to any policy that placed any restrictions on true legacy space (that space that was assigned prior to the existence of RIR’s).
>

> I am not at all convinced that such a policy could actually be legally enforced anyway, since the space was allocated outside of the auspicious of the RIR structures
>

> Wasa it? Aren't the RIRs "agents" or "designees" of IANA who gavve the allocated originally?

Most of the legacy space in Africa was probably originally delegated by InterNIC, either
the SRI InterNIC, or, the Network Solutions InterNIC, both of which were administered
under a contract to the NSF related to, but, not directly subordinate to the IANA contract
which was held by Jon Postel of University of Southern California Information Sciences
Institute and later ICANN.

At the time, InterNIC was also responsible for registrations in the COM, ORG, NET, and
EDU gTLDs. I believe the DDN NIC handled .MIL and I am not sure who handled .INT.
I believe the remaining TLDs were the ccTLDs.

> Weren't legacy recipients supposed to return the space if they no longer had a need for it?  I think your org set a precedent on this by returning most of your legacy space to the RIR, no?

1. Yes. 2. I have no idea on Andrew's org. or precedents they set, so, I'll leave that
to Andrew.