[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: Consensus call ??? on Section 3.8 of AFPUB-2010-v4-005-draft-02 - IPv4 Soft Landing

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Mon May 9 19:51:18 UTC 2011

I am in broad agreement with SM's message (quoted below).

Considering these three possibilities ...

> (a)  The Interim co-chairs remain quiet and leave it to author of the
>      proposal to figure out a way to move the discussion forward.
>
> (b)  The Interim co-chairs ignore the issues and initiate the
>      Last Call.
>
> (c)  The Interim co-chairs work with the author of the proposal
>      and the Policy Development Working Group participants to
>      help resolve the points of contention and see whether
>      consensus can be attained.

I'd re-phrase (b) as

   (b)  The Interim co-chairs take note of the lack of consensus, but
        issue a last call anyway, as a formality in order to comply with
        the procedure.

and I'd add an option (d):

   (d)  The Interim co-chairs, noting the obvious lask of consensus,
        choose not to issue a Last Call.

My own opinion has vacillated between (b) and (d), but I have
agreed with SM that we execute option (b), issuing a last call as
soon as the correct version of the proposal is available.

I predict with high confidence that, after the last call, I will
find that there is no consensus for the proposal as written.  The
next step would be for the proposal (or a modified version of it)
to be discussed again at the AfriNIC-15 meeting in Dar es Salaam
(in June 2011).

--apb (Alan Barrett)
Interim co-chair, AfriNIC Policy Development Working Group

(no new text below this point)