[AfriNIC-rpd] Section 3.8 of AFPUB-2010-v4-005-draft-02 (Updated Version of the "IPv4 Soft Landing Policy" now Available Online)

Mark Elkins mje at posix.co.za
Wed May 4 20:37:36 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-05-04 at 09:51 -0700, sm+afrinic at elandsys.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There has been some discussion about Section 3.8 of AFPUB-2010-v4-005-draft-02:
>
>    "AfriNIC resources are for the AfriNIC geographical region. For each
>     allocation or assignment made during the Exhaustion Phase, no more than
>     10% of these resources may be used outside of the AfriNIC region, and
>     any use outside the AfriNIC region shall be solely in support of
>     connectivity back to the AfriNIC region."
>
> There was consensus on that paragraph in Kigali and in
> Johannesburg.  Andrew Alston raised an objection on the clause being
> "unenforceable, disadvantages African companies looking to globally
> expand, and will create serious enforcement and monitoring
> issues".  The impact analysis provided by AfriNIC did not raise any
> enforcement or monitoring issues.
>
> My recommendation is not to revisit that paragraph.
>
> If there are any objections, please post them on this thread.

It seems that only Andrew is concerned - everyone else seems to be
happy. Whether its really enforceable or not - I personally don't care.
As this is "End Game" - I don't see how this will disadvantage the MTN's
of Africa expanding to the rest of the world - its too late for IPv4!!!
If we catch someone abusing this - then appropriate measures can be
taken.