[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: Section 3.9.2 of AFPUB-2010-v4-005-draft-02 (was: Updated Version of the "IPv4 Soft Landing Policy" now Available Online)

sm+afrinic at elandsys.com sm+afrinic at elandsys.com
Wed May 4 18:48:05 UTC 2011

Hello,
At 00:59 04-05-2011, Dr Paulos Nyirenda wrote:
>Yes, it is.

The change proposed by Dr Paulos Nyirenda is as follows:

   "When AfriNIC, can no longer meet any more requests for address space
    from the last /8 pool because the pool is either empty or has no more
    contiguous blocks, AfriNIC shall follow policies in effect at the
    time to replenish resources".

Quoting Leo Vegoda:

   "We actually appear to have about a /20 in bits and pieces of /24,
    which I think would be the seed for any reclamation pool were such
    a policy to be passed.

    Of course, if people don't want us to allocate those eight, I think it is,
    /24s, then we can probably just pass them out to staff and, you know, sort
    it out that way."

The Policy Development Working Group could add a clause in addition
to the proposed change to pass out the bits and pieces of IPv4
addresses to AfriNIC staff if there aren't any policies in effect at that time.

But that may not be an acceptable alternative to the question of
'leaving matters of policy to the "prerogative" of the Board'.  As I
have to make a recommendation, I'll base it on the following:

  (a) That sentence has been in the proposal since AFPUB-2010-v4-001
and there was
      consensus on it or else it would have been changed.

  (b) Dr Paulos Nyirenda attended the Public Policy Meeting in Kigali and
      Johannesburg.  He did not raise any objection about that sentence
      until 21 February, 2011.

  (c) There hasn't been any support on the Resource Policy Discussion mailing
      list to the objection raised by Dr Paulos Nyirenda.

  (d) If AfriNIC follows policies in effect at the time to replenish
      resources, it will also have to follow any policy that remove
      that "prerogative" from the Board.

My recommendation is either:

  (i)   Dr Paulos Nyirenda disputes any of the points mentioned above; or

  (ii)  A Policy Development Working Group participant sends a request for
        a Consensus Call about the change proposed by Dr Paulos Nyirenda; or

  (iii) Any other alternative that in the Policy Development Working Group
        participant's best judgement will help to move the discussion
        forward.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy
Interim co-chair, AfriNIC Policy Development Working Group