[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: Global Policy for post exhaustion IPv4 allocation mechanisms by the IANA

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue May 3 18:09:18 UTC 2011

>>> The version approved in the fifth region was
>> substantially rewritten by
>>> that community to meet some of their concerns.
>> However, given the
>>> nature of the rewrites, it would have been difficult
>> to reconcile that
>>> version with the version that reached concensus in the
>> other four RIRs.
>>
>> The 'fifth' region being?
>
> ARIN..

Specifically, the general feeling expressed in the ARIN community as
I understood it was that ARIN could not support mandatory returns to a
pool which would be subsequently subjected to APNIC's abandonment
of needs basis in their transfer policy. ARIN could not support the
return of addresses to a pool where they might be allocated
or transfered without respect to the needs basis principle.

Owen
(speaking only for myself and of my observations of the community
debate at ARIN)