[AfriNIC-rpd] Updated Version of the "IPv4 Soft Landing Policy" now Available Online

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Tue May 3 13:10:40 UTC 2011

Hi James,

You wrote:

> Why would you give someone address space if its not for routing?
> Giving a /27 to a customer out of your /24 and then recording that
> in the IRR is fine, but giving someone a /27 in isolation is completely
> pointless as they will have at least 2 entries in the global table (if not
> they shouldn't be getting a /27 independently anyway)

In the past I have seen cases where people wanted unique addresses for numbering private networks, VPNs and so on. A /27 (or maybe less, I forget the exact size) was sufficient and so they were happy to have a prefix longer than a /24. IP addresses are for IP networks. Whether you and I will ever communicate with them is not important when the assignment criteria are needs based.

Leo