[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: Global Policy for post exhaustion IPv4 allocation mechanisms by the IANA

Mukom Akong T tamon at afrinic.net
Tue May 3 12:01:11 UTC 2011

Hello Douglas

Could you please clarify the following?

On 4/28/11 5:48 PM, Douglas Onyango wrote:
> 1. Summary of the Problem Being Addressed by this Policy Proposal
>
> The IANA has now exhausted its pool of IPv4 /8 blocks, having
> distributed its remaining IPv4 addresses according to the "Global
> Policy for the Allocation of the Remaining IPv4 Address Space".[1]
> However, there is the possibility that IANA will receive returned
> addresses post-exhaustion of its pool of /8s.
>
> An earlier global policy proposal authored by a team consisting of
> people from each of the five RIRs reached consensus at four RIRs, and
> was subsequently endorsed by these RIRs' Boards. In the APNIC region,
> this was prop-069, "Global policy proposal for the allocation of IPv4
> blocks to Regional Internet Registries". To see the proposal reference
> number for this proposal in all five RIRs, see Appendix A.

I suggest you put in AfriNIC's reference in here or state that the
proposal was originally submitted to APNIC region (if that is the case)

> The version approved in the fifth region was substantially rewritten by
> that community to meet some of their concerns. However, given the
> nature of the rewrites, it would have been difficult to reconcile that
> version with the version that reached concensus in the other four RIRs.

The 'fifth' region being?

> Therefore, some members of the ARIN community wrote a new global
> proposal, "Global Policy for IPv4 Allocations by the IANA Post
> Exhaustion", which has been adopted in the ARIN region. It is under
> discussion in the AfriNIC, APNIC and RIPE regions. In the APNIC region,
> it is prop-086. To see the proposal reference number for this proposal
> in all five RIRs, see Appendix A.

Again as this is being submitted to AfriNIC region, consider using the
AfriNIC-specific references where they exist.

Mukom Akong T.
Training Manager & Policy Liaison
www.afrinic.net | p: +230 403 5100   |   f: +230 466 6758
Skype/Twitter: perfexcellent   | LinkedIn: mu.linkedin.com/in/perfexcellent

“When you work you are a flute through whose heart the whispering of the
hours turns to music.“

                                                  - Kahlil Gibran