[AfriNIC-rpd] Updated Version of the "IPv4 Soft Landing Policy" now Available Online

Andrew Alston aa at tenet.ac.za
Tue May 3 09:35:50 UTC 2011

Hi All,

As per previous emails I need to raise concerns with aspects of this
document though because these have already been raised time and again on
this list, I would like to request discussion of these issues in Tanzania.
Once again I submit the following points:

> Exhaustion Phase 2
> During this phase a minimum allocation/assignment size will be /27, and
> the maximum will be /22 per allocation/assignment.

To lower the minimum allocation size to a /27 is a self defeating objective.
If I recall correctly, and someone from RIPE can let me know if I am wrong
here, there is a proposal on the table at RIPE at the moment to take the
minimum allocation size back up to a /24, because /27s will get filtered.
To allocate /27 P.I space is to allocate blocks that cannot and will not be
routed in the DFZ, as they WILL get filtered. There is also a severe danger
of people applying for multiple blocks in short succession as their /27s
deplete.  It is globally accepted that a /24 is minimum announcable size in
the DFZ, and I strongly believe that if an RIR is allocating space, even if
the purpose is NOT for DFZ announcement, the possibility for such should
remain so as to not make the space useless should the requirement change.

Therefore I object to this and would plead with the community to change this
from /27 to /24 in the above paragraph.

> AfriNIC resources are for the AfriNIC geographical region. For each
> allocation or assignment made during the Exhaustion Phase, no more than
> 10% of these resources may be used outside of the AfriNIC region, and
> any use outside the AfriNIC region shall be solely in support of
> connectivity back to the AfriNIC region.

I object to the above paragraph, STRONGLY and VEHEMENTLY for all the reasons
stated in multiple previous emails to this list.  The clause is
unenforceable, disadvantages African companies looking to globally expand,
and will create serious enforcement and monitoring issues.  For further
details on my objection, please see list archives on this topic.  I am also
prepared to present at the AfriNIC policy meeting on this topic with a
proper presentation should anyone wish it.

> 3.9 IPv4 Address Space Reserve
>
> A /12 IPv4 address block will be in reserve out of the Final /8. This
> /12  IPv4 address block shall be preserved by AfriNIC for some future
> uses,  as yet unforeseen. The Internet is innovative and we cannot
> predict with  certainty what might happen. Therefore, it is prudent to
> keep this block in reserve, just in case some future requirement creates
> a demand for IPv4 addresses.
>
> 3.9.2
> When AfriNIC, can no longer meet any more requests for address space
> (from the Final /8 or from any other available address space), the Board
> may at its discretion and considering the demand and other factors at
> the time replenish the exhaustion pool with whatever address space (or
> part thereof) that may be available to AfriNIC at the time, in a manner
> that is in the best interest of the community.

This clause needs clarification, because "may be available to AfriNIC" is
rather ambiguous, and I would like to see this reworded.   I bring this up
SPECIFICALLY because of the debate around legacy IP address space.