[AfriNIC-rpd] Updated Version of the "IPv4 Soft Landing Policy"now Available Online

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Fri Feb 25 01:00:06 UTC 2011

On 24 Feb 2011, at 7:50, Owen DeLong wrote:
> On Feb 24, 2011, at 2:36 AM, Leo Vegoda wrote:
>> On 24 Feb 2011, at 2:10, Owen DeLong wrote:

[...]

> Both say that I believe if AfriNIC has a clause stating that AfriNIC resources should be used primarily in
> the AfriNIC region, legitimate providers will abide by that. If AfriNIC does not have such a clause, they
> will consider that permission from AfriNIC to make use of those resources elsewhere.

Yes, I see that now I've had breakfast. I suppose I misread earlier.

>> Either statement could be right; I really don't have much insight into the minds of the people who have been slow to prepare their networks for IPv6.
>>
>> Can you please explain which foreign ISPs are planning to raid AfriNIC? Can you also explain how an export ban policy will be effective at stopping this, despite being at least "difficult" to detect and enforce?
>>
> I honestly don't know. I simply believe it is far more likely to happen if policy permits it than if we
> put in place policy which prohibits it.

I suspect that if it gets to the point where a policy is necessary because people are panicked and a long way away from being ready for an IPv6 deployment we just need to hope things don't go too Lord of The Flies on us.

Regards,

Leo