[AfriNIC-rpd] Updated Version of the "IPv4 Soft Landing Policy"now Available Online

Andrew Alston aa at tenet.ac.za
Thu Feb 24 17:12:48 UTC 2011

On 2011/02/24 6:58 PM, "Owen DeLong" <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> On Feb 24, 2011, at 8:44 AM, Andrew Alston wrote:
>
>>> We cannot prevent criminals from stealing. That is not a good reason
>>> to make theft legal.
>>>
>> We cannot stop abortions happening either, but unless they are legal, people
>> die in back allys getting them from untrained practitioners with no regards
>> to safety.
>>
> You say this as if preventing abortions would be a good thing.

This is not a pro-choice vs pro-life debate, and I need advocate for, nor
advocate against abortions :) In no way was I intending to create an
abortion debate and would not welcome one in any way shape or form, but the
analogy still stands.

>> Sometimes legalizing something is for the good of the community since it
>> controls it and at least the records up to date and makes the legalized
>> concern more trackable and manageable.
>>
> Please explain to me how giving permission for this pillaging would control
> it and be good for the community?

Easy, it will stop the illegitimate hijacking of space, which will result in
the whois databases being at least vaguely up to date and accurate.  It will
result in people being able to actually track down users of the space for
potential abuse reports.  It will allow ISPs who wish to peer to know they
are peering with someone using space they have been properly assigned.  The
benefits are multi-fold.

It will also bring the depletion dates of all the RIR's closer together,
which I believe is in the best interests of everyone, since the
normalization of depletion of the address space means people are in the same
boat and heading towards the same goal, the implementation of V6.  The
extension of the space in one region leaves that region at a disadvantage in
the long term as it slows their transition to what would actually work in
the long term.  Similar in some ways to the way I would oppose handouts to
the African continent, which impoverishes the continent in the long term,
where as I would support skills transfer and development on the continent.