[AfriNIC-rpd] Updated Version of the "IPv4 Soft Landing Policy"now Available Online

Andrew Alston aa at tenet.ac.za
Thu Feb 24 15:06:28 UTC 2011

Hi Jaco :)

Wondered when I'd see you on here.

Jaco I fully agree that attempting to prevent the plundering of African
resources is probably a good idea, but this policy will not achieve that.

Lets be a little pragmatic about this right now for a second, the policy is
completely unenforceable for one thing.  There is no way to police it, there
is no way to prove where someone is using the IP space, honestly, I believe
the space is going to get pillaged if we like it or not.

I point to the IANA policies already being drafted and proposed about
inter-RIR space transfers, they are already looking for ways to transfer
space between RIRs as one runs out and another has, and its proposed as
global policy.

Further more, I argue that long term, holding onto space while the rest of
the world goes V6 discourages the adoption of IPv6, instead of encouraging
it.  What will happen if we continue to discourage the use of our V4 space
with policies like this is pretty simple, we will sit with the space till
2013 or whenever our projected depreciation date is, and every day that goes
by after the other RIRs have run out space, will be another day where the
space we are so jealously guarding decreases in usefulness as people are
forced to go IPv6 only by necessity (or start doing even MORE NAT, heaven
help us all)

Mean while, we will sit with companies who will sit going "Africa has LOADS
of IPv4 space, we'll be ok for just a little longer" and not do anything
about IPv6.  Not because the technical people will believe that, but because
the management of many companies in Africa seem to still believe that there
is no "business case" for IPv6, and until they can see that they themselves
are soon going to be unable to get resources, they will not act.  And yes,
this possibly runs contrary to my off continent arguments and sentiments
expressed, but it is a far more pressing problem on the African continent
itself, we NEED to start burning V4 in order to encourage V6.

I also believe that if we attempt to hoard the V4 space we have, no matter
what we do in policy, without an enforcement mechanism, the space will
disappear and Africa will get no benefit from these resources as they get
pillaged.

All it takes is one company in Asia to register a shelf company in Africa,
get some AfriNIC space, run a small circuit back to Asia, and do their
network announcements from Africa.  If the routes are in place to allow the
announcement from the continent, the space is being "used" in Africa,
irrespective of if the IP addresses are assigned on boxes outside or not.
At that point the entire policy can be bypassed.  Further more, even if they
DON'T do this, we cannot stop a company from deaggregating the space to /24s
and announcing it anyway.  RPKI is not a reality (and I pray it will never
become one for other even more serious reasons), and as a result the RIR's
CANNOT enforce a withdrawl of space, and money talks, throw enough money at
an upstream provider and he's going to quietly ignore the fact that you're
announcing "bogon" space.  Hell, I can point to tier-1 global providers that
do not filter their customers at ALL other than max-prefix lists.

We cannot prevent those who will attempt to pillage our space
illegitimately, we can however give those who wish to use the space in a
legitimate manner a way to do so and prevent dodgy rubbish from happening
that will result in screwed up whois databases, a potentially nasty black
market and other chaos.

Andrew