[AfriNIC-rpd] Updated Version of the "IPv4 Soft Landing Policy"now Available Online

Andrew Alston aa at tenet.ac.za
Thu Feb 24 10:20:54 UTC 2011

<SNIP>

> As has been pointed out by others, the probability of African ISPs
> making significant off-shore expansions in IPv4 is somewhere between
> slim and none, so I tend to doubt that this is anything more than a
> straw man argument.

Errrr the possibility is slim to none?  Ok, so hold on, lets look at a few
things for a second.  MTN is currently in the top 10 largest cellular
networks in the world, and one of the largest by market cap, they didn't do
this by not expanding, they are an ISP.

Vodacom is a large company, with the potential for market expansion.

Anglo Gold and Debeers Mining both are African companies with HUGE
international holdings, what happens when they need more space?  They aren't
an ISP so they don't count or something?  So P.I space can then be
specifically excluded from this clause?  Or not?

The list goes on and on and on, and quite frankly, I find your assumption
that African companies will not go global or expand significantly in the
international market to be short sited and pretty insulting to every African
company present on this list, as it implies that they some how don't have
what it takes to join the global market.

Andrew