[AfriNIC-rpd] Updated Version of the "IPv4 Soft Landing Policy" now Available Online

Dr Paulos Nyirenda paulos at sdnp.org.mw
Mon Feb 21 13:10:03 UTC 2011

Two areas of concern in [3] and [3.9.2] and proposals for changes as follows:

In [3] the second sentence in [3] needs revision.

> [3] The Proposal
>
> This policy (IPv4 Soft Landing), applies to the management of address
> space that will be available to AfriNIC after the current IPv4 pool is
> depleted. The purpose of this document is to ensure that address space
> used in a manner that is acceptable to the AfriNIC community especially
> during this time of scarcity.

so that it reads:

"The purpose of this document is to ensure that address space -- is assigned and/or
allocated -- in a manner that is acceptable to the AfriNIC community especially during --
the time of IPv4 exhaustion --- ."

In [3.9.2], I am concerned that the proposal is leaving matters of policy to the
"prerogative" of the Board as follows which I think should be revised to follow the
spirit in [3.6]

> 3.9.2
> When AfriNIC, can no longer meet any more requests for address space
> from the last /8 pool because the pool is either empty or has no more
> contiguous blocks, the Board will based on the demand and other factors
> at the time exercise their prerogative to replenish the exhaustion pool
> with whatever address space that will be available to AfriNIC at the
> time in a manner that is in the best interest of the community.

This proposal in [3.9.2] should be revised to avoid prerogatives as follows:

When AfriNIC, can no longer meet any more requests for address space from the last /8
pool because the pool is either empty or has no more contiguous blocks, -- AfriNIC shall
follow policies in effect at the time to replenish resources --

Regards,

Paulos
Dr Paulos B Nyirenda
NIC.MW & .mw ccTLD