[AfriNIC-rpd] Clarification. Was: The "Out of Region Sales for IPv4 Space" Policy Proposal is now Online

Emilio Madaio emadaio at ripe.net
Thu Feb 17 12:35:56 UTC 2011

Hi Owen,
    I'd like to make some comments with the purpose of improving clarity
and consequentially facilitate the proposal discussion.

>For now, I am neutral with regard to this proposal.

  [...]
>2.	The premium price of 2x current rate will be well below likely market prices in the
>	address trading markets established by ARIN, RIPE, and APNIC policies. (not sure
>	if LACNIC has a trading policy), virtually guaranteeing that AfriNIC will be a preferred
>	source unti the inventory is exhausted. Likely you could significantly increase the
>	pricing if you tied this policy to market values in some way. If the intent is to maximize
>	revenues for AfriNIC, then, perhaps that would be worth considering.

At the moment in the RIPE NCC Service region there is no established
address trading market. There are transfer and
merge&acquisition policies and procedures locally defined but the RIPE
policy system does not establish a trading market
of IPv4 Resources.

There are not even policy proposals discussed by the RIPE community that
would consider to establish such markets in a foreseeable future.

I am not sure what you exactly meant, however this is a simple point I
wanted to clarify to avoid misunderstanding.

Best Regards
Emilio Madaio
Policy Development Officer
RIPE NCC

 >3. I believe the claims that AfriNIC space will be used by foreign
entities whether AfriNIC
 > makes it available or not are essentially specious and mostly FUD[1].
However, the