[AfriNIC-rpd] The "Out of Region Sales for IPv4 Space" Policy Proposal is now Online

sm+afrinic at elandsys.com sm+afrinic at elandsys.com
Wed Feb 16 02:02:50 UTC 2011

Hi Andrew,
At 09:57 AM 2/15/2011, Andrew Alston wrote:
>The LIR * 2 membership fee is a "foreign penalty", it is not meant to
>MAXIMIZE revenues, it is simply meant to make it slightly more fair.  People
>aren't BUYING ip space under this proposal, they are taking membership of
>AfriNIC from an external source.  Therefore the LIR Rate * 2 is a membership
>rate + external penalty almost, and is recurring revenue.

Section 2 of the PDP defines the scope of the policies that are
developed.  The intent of that section is to prevent the PDWG from
adopting policies that are in conflict with AfriNIC Ltd.  Quoting a
paragraph from that section:

   "Internet number resource policies are distinctly separate from AfriNIC
    general business practices and procedures. General business practices
    and procedures are not within the purview of the Policy
Development Process."

As Interim co-chair, I would not make a determination about whether
it is acceptable for a policy to set the LIR rate.  I would ask for
an analysis of your proposal (see Section 5.1 of PDP) and leave it to
the next Chair to handle the matter when your proposal is discussed
at the next Public Policy Meeting.

I cannot find a copy of the minutes for the AfriNIC-11 meeting.  If I
recall correctly, there was a discussion about a proposal authored by
Graham Beneke during the meeting and it was mentioned out that it is
the prerogative of the AfriNIC Board of Directors to determine the
membership fees.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy