[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: Updated AFPUB-2010-v4-003

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Tue Feb 15 00:11:27 UTC 2011

Hi Marty,

On Feb 14, 2011, at 8:35 AM, Hannigan, Martin wrote:

[…]

> 5. Reporting Requirements
>
> The IANA shall publish on at least a weekly basis a report that is
> publicly available which at a minimum details all address space that
> has been received and that has been allocated. The IANA shall publish
> a Returned Address Space Report which indicates what resources were
> returned, by whom and when. The IANA shall publish an Allocations
> Report on at least a weekly basis which at a minimum indicates what
> IPv4 address space has been allocated, which RIR received the
> allocation and when. The IANA shall publish a public notice confirming
> RIR eligibility subsequent to Section 4.

For the allocation report, are you looking for something very different from an ordinary IANA registry? Would additional granularity in the IPv4 Address Space registry be sufficient for the authors?

I am not sure exactly what the authors expect IANA to do before issuing a public notice confirming RIR eligibility but it is probably worth pointing out that IANA does not have privileged access to the RIRs' registration databases. So an IANA notice probably does not hold any more weight than a declaration of eligibility issued by an RIR, or for that matter any interested observer. We can do it but we aren't more authoritative than anyone else. If you want a third party statement confirming eligibility I would suggest requiring the statement of eligibility to be issued by a firm of auditors with a good reputation.

Regards,

Leo Vegoda