[AfriNIC-rpd] Proposal Transfer of IPv4 Addresses to Any Entity (AFPUB-2011-v4-001-draft-01) now online

James Blessing jblessing at llnw.com
Mon Feb 14 10:44:20 UTC 2011

On 14/02/2011 10:20, Mukom Akong T wrote:
> Dear Colleagues
>
> The policy proposal "Transfer of IPv4 Addresses to Any Entity" has been
> posted to the AfriNIC website. It can be accessed at
> http://www.afrinic.net/docs/policies/AFPUB-2011-v4-001-draft-01.htm.

I think I violently disagree with this proposal based on its content,
although the idea of the policy in general has some merits

Taking each section in turn:

 > 2.1) Legacy members can transfer part or all of their IPv4 addresses
 > to any company under the following criteria:

'any company' should be a company with the needs for IP addresses as
currently defined in the relevant AfriNIC documents.

 > a) The company to which the addresses are transferred may or may not
 > enter into agreement with AfriNIC.

Suggest this is 'must' enter into an agreement with AfriNIC, whilst this
section addresses Legacy address space, future policy *should* look to
integrate address policy within the AfriNIC region as under the complete
mandate of AfriNIC.

 > b) The legacy member may or may not inform AfriNIC about the
 > transaction.

Again this should be a 'must' option, how else can AfriNIC maintain
accurate status of address usage within the region

 > c) AfriNIC will accord the third party all relevant access to
 > services and benefits normally available to legacy members.

I would suggest that this was that third parties were expected to be
AfriNIC members

 > 2.2) Paying AfriNIC members can transfer part or all of their IPv4
 > addresses to any company under the following criteria:

see previous comments about 'any'

 > a) The company to which the addresses are transferred must enter into
 > agreement with AfriNIC.

agreed

 > b) The transfer and needs analysis cannot be based on any current
 > policies. The only requirement for the transfer to happen should be
 > the contract between the member and AfriNIC.

Why, there is no reason for such a get out clause, a single entity could
hoover the address space without regard to existing policy (in fact they
could deliberately have small entities make request knowing they could
hoover them later')

 > c) The relevant AfriNIC fees must apply to the third party.

agreed

 > d) AfriNIC will accord the third party all relevant access to
 > services and benefits normally available to normal members

This is either contradictory or redundant as in 2.2 a) the third party
has entered into agreement with AfriNIC

Whilst the free and easy transfer between networks with need is a good
thing, the important factor is 'need'

James Blessing
+44 7989 039 476
Strategic Relations Manager, EMEA