[AfriNIC-rpd] Afrinic and RPKI

Carlos Martinez-Cagnazzo carlosm3011 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 19:36:02 UTC 2011

Hello Andrew,

I agree with you that this situation must be discussed. However, for
the sake of clarity and in order to appropriately analyze the
situation, I think the point must be made that it is not possible for
"a government" to order AfriNIC to shutdown X or Y.

The only government(s) that could order such a thing are those
governments where AfriNIC is legally constituted and/or holds
significant assets, which right now would include Mauritius and, maybe
South Africa and Egypt. It is just not "any government".

Government interference is certainly an issue that must be addressed
in order for RPKI to become widely accepted and deployed.

The "just not any government" observation will be a helpful one in the
future so RIRs can wisely chose where to incorportate and/or hold
significant assets.

Warm regards

Carlos