[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: Proposal: Reclamation of allocated but unrouted IPv4 addresses.

John Hay jhay at meraka.org.za
Thu Feb 10 17:29:28 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 06:26:27PM +0300, Jackson Muthili wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Andrew Alston <aa at tenet.ac.za> wrote:
> > Secondly, I have to wonder if we are not perhaps flogging a dead horse
> > here.? The simple fact is, even if you reclaimed a load of space, would you
> > really be able to make a difference, particularly in the AfriNIC region,
> > where the rest of the world is likely to have run out of IPv4 space and gone
> > IPv6 only for large portions of the Internet at least a year or two before
> > the current AfriNIC allocations are depleted?
>
> Many contend that it will be a while before IPv6 is accepted. Some say
> it could take decades. They may be right. Policies to extend
> availability of IPv4 can not be taken lightly. If IPv6 were an
> acceptable medium to long term solution, it would have been massively
> deployed by now.

I think the amount of unused address space that can be reclaimed,
measured against the growth of the internet, does not really make it
feasable. I think the effort should rather go into getting IPv6 running
and policies for that (if needed) sorted.

John
--
John Hay -- jhay at meraka.csir.co.za / jhay at FreeBSD.org