[AfriNIC-rpd] Effectively dealing with IPv4 trading

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Feb 10 08:21:23 UTC 2011

On Feb 9, 2011, at 11:50 PM, Jackson Muthili wrote:

> Owen,
>
> On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 2:26 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> Without commenting on the other issues...
>>>

>>> Is there anything more that we can really do to prevent local shell companies obtaining resources for usage outside of the region?
>>>
>> Existing policy already prohibits this and I expect AfriNIC will be proactive in reclaiming resources that are incorrectly used outside of the AfriNIC region.
>
> 1. What would you define as incorrect usage?
> 2. Nowhere i see does a policy prohibit usage of resources outside africa.
>
> Cheers
> Jack

I thought this had already been adopted, but, apparently it is not yet implemented.
I apologize for my error.

http://www.afrinic.net/docs/policies/AFPUB-2010-v4-005.htm

7.3) AfriNIC resources are for the AfriNIC geographical region. For each allocation or assignment
made during the Exhaustion Phase, no more than 10% of these resources may be used outside
of the AfriNIC region, and any use outside the AfriNIC region shall be solely in support of
connectivity back to the AfriNIC region.

That criteria seems to pretty clearly define incorrect usage outside of the region.

It does not prohibit usage, but, it does greatly restrict it which I think is reasonable.

I'm not sure why, after achieving consensus at the Face to Face meeting (I believe
consensus on this policy was reached in Kigali) this proposal is languishing rather
than moving forward.

I would encourage the AfriNIC WG Chairs and the AfriNIC board to move this policy
forward with all due haste in light of the events of February 3, 2011. (specifically the
events in Miami, not Egypt, lest anyone be confused).