[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: Proposal: Reclamation of allocated but unrouted IPv4 addresses.

Jackson Muthili jacksonmuthi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 07:43:24 UTC 2011

Andrew,

> I have a major problem with this.  Legacy allocations were issued before the
> RIR's were ever created, and were not bound by the policies that govern the
> current RIR's.  As such, while the RIR's do control such services as the
> whois, I believe it would be extremely problematic to attempt to force
> impose policies on the holders such space.  This has been the subject of
> much discussion recently on the nanog lists as well.

If the community decides to extend policy to apply to legacy members,
this would not be a problem anymore. They can be made to sign an
afrinic contract by a certain date, beyond which - their addresses can
be revoked. Unfortunately, this sounds stern but with the situation we
are soon facing, IPv4 will be on great great demand especially when
afrinic pool is depleted.

Cheers
Jack