[AfriNIC-rpd] Effectively dealing with IPv4 trading

Graham Beneke graham at apolix.co.za
Wed Feb 9 21:07:34 UTC 2011

As a follow on from Jackson Muthili's Transfer policy that has received
no support (as far as I can see)...

I have a concern (shared by others I believe) that:

* As IPv4 gets closer to depletion there will attempts to trade
resources by those with needs and those with surplus.

* Due to the resource consumption rate in the AfriNIC region we are
likely to have available resources long after the other regions have
depleted their supplies.

Many people are heavily opposed to free market trading of addresses.

 From an operational point of view I see networks incurring real costs
in time and labour to renumber networks and free up resources. Should
they not be compensated for this effort in some way? Would they have any
motivation to renumber if they didn't?

Regardless of where the resources come from I feel that organisations
still need to qualify on a needs basis to obtain addresses. But if two
organisations qualify and there are insufficient addresses available
then who receives them?

Is there anything more that we can really do to prevent local shell
companies obtaining resources for usage outside of the region?

Whatever happens - it needs to be as transparent as possible. All
address assignments need to be recorded and updated in the whois and
this means that AfriNIC has to participate in the process. Does this
mean that they provide a trading market? Or just provide operation
support once trades have been completed? Will address recipients become
AfriNIC members?

More questions than answers here.

--
Graham Beneke