[AfriNIC-rpd] Re: Proposal: Reclamation of allocated but unrouted IPv4 addresses.

Graham Beneke graham at apolix.co.za
Wed Feb 9 20:31:28 UTC 2011

On 09/02/2011 20:04, Andrew Alston wrote:
>> Correct. IXPs are one exception. I am willing to accommodate other
>> similar cases in the proposal.
>>
> I can think of a LOT of exceptions.  Take for example the following (and I
> admit this is a very specific example, but it highlights the issue)

I have several exceptions on networks that I deal with too:

* I have customers within my IP space who *by choice* wish to only be
announced to certain peers and not to my transit providers. Reasons for
this include costs and limited services areas (like in Andrew's IRC
example).

* In other instances there are global multi-stakeholder networks that
require unique global addressing but do not route their packets via
public interconnects. These routes will never appear anywhere on the DFZ
but are very much in use.

* The third case is when a small (largely private) network wishes to
interconnect with a large public network. Announcing RFC1918 space into
the routing table of the large network is simply not feasible - the risk
of address collisions is very high. Unique global addressing is required
but routes are only exchanges between these two entities.

I think its worthwhile getting a little more strict on enforcing the
existing requirements for usage of addresses issues by the RIR's.

I'd be interested to see the projected impact for AfriNIC though since
our current pools of resources are likely to only dry up after the world
is deep in IPv6 land.

--
Graham Beneke