[AfriNIC-rpd] Staff Comments & Implementation Impact, Analysis for Policy - Abuse Contact Information in the AfriNIC Service, Region (AFPUB-2010-GEN-006)

Denis Walker denis at ripe.net
Tue Feb 1 11:02:31 UTC 2011

> On Jan 19, 2011, at 12:03 AM, SM wrote:
>

>> Hi Owen,
>> At 16:33 18-01-11, Owen DeLong wrote:
>>
>>> I don't understand why these organizations can't make use of the bulk
>>> whois policy and download the database instead of loading up the
>>> RIR servers with their queries if the queries are so frequent and so
>>> numerous as to be a problem.
>>>
>> According to https://lists.afrinic.net/pipermail/rpd/2010/001107.html "the email address all have value '# Filtered'".
>>
>> Regards,
>> -sm
>>

> Interesting. Perhaps that is the thing which needs to be changed to
> accomodate their need. I don't believe that is the case in at least the
> ARIN region. I would have to research the other 3 RIRs bulk whois
> policies.
>
> Owen

The RIPE NCC does not allow anyone bulk access to RIPE Database data
that includes personal data. The data protection laws in Europe require
that we strip out all email addresses from any bulk data. However, we do
make separate provisions to return properly referenced abuse handling
emails without any restrictions or limits.

Our bulk data is available in plain files split by object type from our
ftp site. As this data excludes any personal data object types and all
personal data is filtered out of the operational object types, no
contract is required to download these daily files. But the data
contained in them is subject to our Terms and Conditions.

Data protection laws are probably quite different in Africa to Europe.
You may be allowed to provide personal data to some types of
organisations with an appropriate contract. But one point you may wish
to consider. What stops an abuser setting up a genuine anti-abuse
organisation? They sign a bulk access contract and get a full dump
including personal data. Then hand all the personal data over to their
abusing company. Careful consideration should be given to any bulk
access to personal data.

Regards
Denis Walker
Business Analyst