[AfriNIC-rpd] Staff Comments & Implementation Impact Analysis for Policy - Abuse Contact Information in the AfriNIC Service Region (AFPUB-2010-GEN-006)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Jan 23 22:14:51 UTC 2011

On Jan 23, 2011, at 1:34 PM, Tobias Knecht wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> Then the correct solution is to put in policy to get unfiltered bulk
>> whois records for your purposes rather than to force the RIRs to
>> support your query loads.
>
> My opinion is, that RIRs have to enable access to abuse contact data for
> everybody in a way, that everybody is able to query and complain about
> internet abuse without signing contracts, without downloading and
> processing loads of data.
>
> I'm even okay with a restriction, but not with the numbers of allowed
> queries we have at the moment.

The numbers we have at the moment are based on current operational
experience vs. available resources (at least in the ARIN region). I can
only assume that the other RIRs take a similar approach.

I doubt anyone limits whois queries just for the sake of limiting whois
queries.

So, if you want them to absorb this additional load, then, how do you
propose funding the resources that will take?

Otherwise, I still think this is basically a situation where those people
who want to engage in abnormally heavy use of whois should be
responsible for engineering their own solution. The RIR's obligation
is to make the data available. It is not their obligation to support
unusually high query loads for individual records.