[AfriNIC-rpd] IPv4 Softlanding Proposal Update

Andrew Alston aa at tenet.ac.za
Fri Nov 27 18:01:57 UTC 2009

Personally I'm extremely opposed to this entire clause for the following
reasons:

An African company that expands into European/American/Asian space now
needs another allocation, from another RIR, which:

a.) causes more deaggregation and more routes in an already congested
routing table
b.) wastes space because of multiple allocations and less efficient use
of space
c.) forces the African company to form relationships with RIR's outside
of their primary base of operations

The RIR's job as far as I am concerned is to allocate resources to
companies who have their primary presence in the RIR's designated
geographic region.  It is NOT to police where that IP space is used by
the company that it allocates it to.

It's a little like selling someone a car and telling them they may never
drive it across the border...

Just my 2c

Andrew