[AfriNIC-rpd] Policy Proposal (Global): IANA Policy for Allocation of ASN Blocks to RIRs

Frank Habicht geier-lists-afrinic-policywg at tih.co.tz
Fri Aug 28 13:12:01 UTC 2009

I support the policy proposal.

That is for very practical reasons. Adoption of 32-bit ASNs has just not
 taken place to a significant extend.

In addition I wonder if some "blame" can be put on vendors of BGP
speakers. I wonder if RIRs or NRO can somehow "motivate" vendors to
actively support and encourage deployment of products (the right
software should mostly do) to enable inter-operation with 32-bit ASNs,
including direct peering with them. Like giving the upgraded software
away for free (with easy process).

Thanks,
Frank